Entrepreneurship is stressful. Life, is stressful. But I think a big part of that is all in the mind – so having the right mindset is so important to surviving the daily ups and downs.
I’ve known that right from the start, but putting it in practice, as easy as it is, is hard.
Giving thanks, and just smiling are such small actions that any one of us can do in an instant, and can have such profound impact on our mood and our frame of mind. So why don’t we do it more often? Why can’t we give thanks and smile, at least once every waking hour?
It’s easy to get lost and engulfed in a sea of worries. For me, a few of my worries off the top of my head include:
- Why is the business slowing down today?
- If we don’t work on growing it everyday, when will it all come crashing down?
- Not having enough time to complete our objectives
- How come some customers are complaining excessively (on this point, we should really be looking inwardly to see if we can do things better, and not blame others)
- There are so many things we need to juggle, and we don’t even have kids yet
- I feel like i haven’t done enough today, and I’m not focused enough
I can go on and on and on. Sure, there are tactics to improve productivity, and I have been working on that a lot lately, trying to squeeze “2 minutes out of every minute”. But one thing I’ve come to realize is that no matter how efficient I am, no matter how much I accomplish, these worries won’t go away, until I change my mindset.
Changing my mindset should be easy, but it really isn’t. I can make split second decisions, but constantly reminding myself to “take it easy” and just enjoy things a bit, is a huge uphill battle. I get pretty lost in the daily battles, it’s as if I need an hourly alarm to remind me to just smile.
It’s not easy, but at least I recognize my flaw, and this is a step in the right direction.
Smile more, and in everything give thanks. I need to learn to enjoy what we’ve been able to accomplished over the past couple of years, and smile.